Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 88 - I can't go out, I have to wash my hair

Tomorrow is the day that I go in for infusion #6. After that, I am 3/4 of the way through treatment. Hooray. Well... when I hit next Wednesday I will say that I am 3/4 of the way and I only have two more. I got a card from my Aunt Patti today... it really made me smile when she said that I will only have two more. I can remember when I was staring down the "barrel" and had eight! I can tell you that it has gone fast. I think that having kids and going to work nearly throughout the whole process has made everything go so much faster. I am so happy that May is next month and that will be the last of chemo-sucky.

As for the every day injections... I find out about them tomorrow. We'll see what my insurance covers and what the doctor says. I'll let you know when I find out more. I am not really worried about giving myself a shot every day. Honestly, it's the least of my worries and I have never really been afraid of needles after donating blood when I was 16. That needle was HUGE.

So I washed my "hair" the other day. Every 30 wears I should wash my wig. Well, I had been meaning to do so, but I kept forgetting. So I finally did it I think on Monday. I have special shampoo and leave in conditioner. Now I understand the excuse "I can't go out with you because I have to wash my hair" which I believe was a popular excuse in the 50s and 60s. The process you have to go through to wash the piece. Wasn't it in the 50s and 60s that ladies/girls had those "bump its" that they put in their hair to make their hair poofier in the back? After soaking the hair in the bowl, I had to rinse out the hair. After rinsing, I had to towel dry, do not wring. After that it was spray in the leave in conditioner and then dry overnight. After that I could comb/brush it. I did as instructed and I am pleased to say my hair is so shiny and soft now! I look marvelous!

Oh yes, tomorrow we also meet with the genetic counselor. I will get tested to see if I am a carrier of the cancer gene BRCA. If so it will help guide me with further treatment (surgery to take out my ovaries, test Amelia and Elaina, etc.). I will let you know more about the testing and what the outcomes could mean after we meet with them tomorrow afternoon.

I think that's about it. Until next time.

Oh yes, for dinner... prepared meal - Chicken Pot Pie. Wonderful!
And... here's a picture of me and Shellie at the last chemo-sucky treatment. Again, thanks for the visit Shellie!

No comments:

Post a Comment