Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 101 - I'm shrinking! I'm shrinking!

I went in today for my ultrasound. I had a different sonographer who took the pictures and measurements. When she was done she said she was going to talk to the doctor. I asked her if Dr. Chan was in. She said yes. I said good because he is the one who has been following me. So Dr. Chan came in a few minutes later with a Dr. Yow (I think??) who was an OB/GYN resident. I told him that I was BRCA2+. He said that's the reason why I got breast cancer so early. Yup. Then I said that I will most likely now have to get an oopherectomy. The other doctor nodded yes. Anyway, Dr. Chan wanted to look at my breast again. I like him. He said that the tumor was shrinking. It measured 2.2 x 1.8 x 1.6 cm compared with a previous measurement of 3.6 x 3.3 x 2.0 cm. Then he moved to the axillary nodes (under my arm). He found two nodes and said that they are kidney shaped and they don't appear as thick. The largest measured 1.0 x 0.9 x 0.3 cm compared with a previous measurement of 1.4 x 1.0 x 0.7 cm. Then he measured the node in my neck. It measured 1.2 x 1.1 x 0.5 cm compared with 1.5 x 1.4 x 0.6 cm prior. So he was happy with everything and said the treatment is doing what it's supposed to do. The last time I had any measurements was just before my third AC treatment. So I've gone through 4 more treatments. I wish it had gone down even more... but we are moving in the right direction. You'll have to remember that the axillary nodes when I first got to OHSU were "clumpy" and they could find no clear node. So now that they can find the nodes again is awesome. In fact, he was having trouble finding one of the lymph nodes under my arm. So this is good.

Now I get to look forward to two more treatments. And I seriously mean that I get to look forward to two - not 8 a few months back. Let's hope that I don't get sick again. I want to feel good this weekend. That will mean that maybe I will feel good on Mother's Day!

Oh, when I was doing some research online about BRCA, I read that being BRCA1 positive (I'm BRCA2) can actually hinder the chances of conceiving. Interesting. Something about the gene and how it affects the eggs. Just in an interesting thing I found. I wonder if that will be part of a test for those undergoing fertility issues...

3 comments:

  1. Take that, cancer! You are rocking this!

    -Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you rec'vd some good news. The little victories should be celebrated! You're awesome and we are all supporting you...keep up the great works, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete