Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 87 - The Fun Continues!

Fun times at Chemo High! LOL

I am at work and I look at my phone during my supervisor meeting and what do I see?? I missed two calls from my oncologist's office. Uh oh. I could figure out one of them... a reminder that I have an appointment on Thursday. (yea me! Not). The other one was what was puzzling me. Can anyone guess what the second call was about??? Ha, you'll never guess. Anyway, Dr. Luoh's nurse was calling because Dr. Luoh wants to change my post chemo medication - namely the neulasta shot. Yea, that's the $6k one. So what do they want to replace it with?? Neupogen. What's that you say?? I'll tell you in a moment.

Dr. L seems to think that the Neulasta was giving me the nausea. It's not necessarily a side effect, but he wants to give the Neupogen a try. When I went in for two Saturdays ago to the ER they checked my white blood count. Apparently it was through the roof. It was so high. I'm doing a great job by staying away from the sickies. But he seems to think that since my white blood count is so high, the Neulasta is doing too much. With the Neupogen, the medication will be given in smaller doses over the course of seven days. Yes, I did say seven days. That means that I have to stick myself every day with a needle. I have to give myself an injection. Like I mentioned... the fun continues. So it looks like it's going to be the battles of the Ns... which one will win? All I can say is that if I have the same reaction, I'm going back to one injection. I feel sorry for the people who are diabetic. Eh, it's all good though. The shot would go in in my tummy, arm or thigh... basically where ever - as Angie says - "pinch an inch." Right now the OHSU pharmacy is taking my medical prescription coverage to see how much it would cost me to get the Neupogen. If it's a small copay or not extremely high, then I'll be doing the shot each day. But I guess we'll discuss on Thursday.

Now I am sitting here on the couch watching "Tangled" for the upteenth time.

2 comments:

  1. Giving yourself a shot isn't so bad. Once you get over that initial fear it's easy! Most times I don't even feel it, although I no longer take injections, I'm on a pump. You can do it Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kate. I had to pinch myself several times a day for IVF and it wasn't a big deal. The needle is very small and sometimes you don't even feel it. I chose to do it in my belly. If you do find it uncomfortable, try to do it after you take a shower or bath when the skin is more supple and the ambient is warmer. I know I didn't have to deal with the ickyness you're feeling, but I promise the shots will not be a big issue. Hugs again!

    -Kris

    ReplyDelete