Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 95 - I'm Normal!

Wow... I am normal. Seems like an oxymoran at this point in time. But that is what the ultrasound technician said.

I went in for my blood work and my u/s this morning. It was nice going to a smaller hospital. Everyone was on time. I got there shortly after 8a. Since I was early for the u/s appointment, I went and had my bloodwork done. I only had to walk a short distance from the check in desk to the outpatient lab. The technicians were a bit scary... english wasn't their first language. But the lab worker got my vein on the first try and it was done within minutes. After that, it took a few minutes to wait to check in for the u/s. I barely had time to get one text off to Brad to tell him that I was done with the bloodwork before I got called back. Since I was just at Mt. Hood about two weeks ago, they had me in the system. That was awesome. After checking in, it was a quick wait in a hallway. I think I waited about 7 minutes... just enough time to fire off two text messages! LOL. Thanks Annie! Then it was back in the u/s room. The sonographer was awesome. We just talked through the whole thing. She went to school in Oklahoma but moved out to the NW because she went through an F5 tornado and said she wasn't having anymore of that (scary, Brooke!). She's been in Oregon for many years now. We also talked about why we though breast cancer stats were so much higher. She didn't know. I just wanted her opinion. And whether she wanted it or not, I gave her mine. I said I like to think that we are more in tune with our bodies and we tend to catch the symptoms/signs earlier. She said she liked that response and was going to use it. Um, lemme see, I found out that the hospital complex is going to open up a new office facility that will specialize in women's breast health... mammography, biopsies and the like. She used to work at Mt. Hood MC, then went to another hospital, only to return a few months ago because she was launching this new office. She specializes in the breast. In fact, she was shocked that I was a breast cancer patient. She thought that I just had a lumpectomy because she thought my wig was my real hair. She said that I looked great for someone going through chemo and she was thrown off because I still have my eyebrows and eye lashes! Ha! I kept some hair! hahahaha!

So the u/s was only about 25 minutes in length. She took lots of pictures of my liver. She took pictures of my kidneys, pancreas, gallbladder and then last she looked at my spleen. She said that she's not supposed to tell me about what she's seeing... meaning making any sort of diagnosis, but she said that my liver looked fine and then when she got to my spleen, she said that it was a normal size. So I'm normal. :) That's a relief. So my aches and pains are just a side effect of chemo-sucky and neulasta I am assuming. She said, of course, I didn't hear it from her. But I am glad she at least told me that my spleen looked normal. Then it was off to work.

I got home just in time today to get a call from Angie, Dr. Luoh's nurse. She said that my spleen looked normal (which I already knew, but said nothing) and that my labs came back normal. She said my white blood count was in the normal range and that I am a little anemic which is also normal for a chemo-sucky patient. I asked her if there's anything I can do for that. She said that I could change my diet... eat more iron rich foods, but she doubts that it will really help. If it gets too low it would mean a blood transfusion. But it's not near that point. It just means that I am more tired. So I like my afternoon naps.

Dr. L did say I could go in for more testing... doing a doppler test to check for blood clots. But after discussing with Angie, we decided no. I don't have the symptoms of a blood clot. I don't have swollen extremities, the pain isn't increasing, no fever, etc. But we did agree if I have any of these symptoms I would call right away or get to an ER ASAP as if the blood clot were to move it could cause a stroke. But she said that blood clots are not typical. So the diagnosis is to continue to drink lots of fluids and if the pain is bad (and no fever) I can take tylenol or ibuprofen. Fun times.

After her call, I took a much needed nap. Yea!

Other than that, everything is good. Feeling good. The numbness/tingling is still there. I am hoping it will go away. I don't like the feeling. It's an awkward feeling. Think if it continues Dr. L will get me out of my last two chemo-sucky treatments??? Hahaha!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for little victories! And with only two rounds left you can finally see the finish line!!!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete