Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 121 - Back to the ER

Today's ER trip is brought to you by my daughter, Elaina. What a special Mother's Day gift.

So after Friday's trip to Mt. Hood Knight Cancer for hydration and Neulasta, I was good to go. Saturday (Day 119) was a great day. I just had my normal bone and joint pain, but nothing to cause alarm. I did notice that on Friday, Elaina started getting a runny nose, so I made Elaina stay far away (well as far away as she possibly could) and made Brad take care of her. But that made no difference. I started to get a drippy nose Saturday evening. I thought that maybe it was due to allergies. It's hot here and everyone was out mowing their yards. Saturday I went to bed... only to wake up Sunday morning with a really scratchy throat. It felt almost dry. The sore throat didn't go away. The stuffy head came and went. Then came the shiverring while under my down comforter. I took my temperature and it was anywhere between 100.4-101. Time to call the on call oncologist. He told me that I should go to the ER and make sure there wasn't anything else associated with the fever.

So thank you Nancy for taking me to the ER and thank you Becky for picking up and watching the girls. I so appreciate it. I was at the ER from about 530-915. Ugh. What did they do in that time? Took my temp, gave me a liter of saline, swab for strep throat, 2 chest x-rays, a urine sample and blood draws through my port. The strep test came back negative. The x-rays looked good. And my white blood count came back at 57,000. So I was good to go. I was just concerned about the fever and since my temp was coming down and I wasn't shiverring, I figured I was getting better. I even got a little turkey sandwich while I was there. I was so hungry.

So the doctor wants to treat me as if I had strep throat, even though I don't. I have to take antibiotics for the next 10 days. Dr. Luoh's nurse called me this morning and asked how I was doing. I told her I was fine. She said that she was going to check and see if I needed to take the antibiotics for the strep. I haven't heard back from her. No biggie. I am just taking it until I hear otherwise. I believe there's no adverse effects between the chemo sucky and antibiotics.

Also today I got a call from scheduling. Apparently Brooke, one of the Nurse Navigators, remembered that I didn't like MRIs. So she got it okayed from Dr. Naik to cancel my MRI for tomorrow. They would just try to work off of the ultrasound and the mammogram. I told the scheduler to keep the MRI appointment because if they don't get what they need, then they will have to ask for one anyway. I figure I will just take an ativan while I am there. No worries. I just don't want to throw up while in the tube. I do, however, appreciate Brooke's kindness to try and not schedule me for that nasty test.

Here's what's up for tomorrow... MRI at 12, Mammogram at 1:20 and ultrasound at 2p.

Special shout out to my mom and Vern. Thanks for the wonderful basket filled with fruit, chocolate, cheese, crackers, nuts and more! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment