Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 113 - Neuropathy

It's Day 113 of my plight with breast cancer. I am so looking forward to this Thursday. It will be Round 8 of 8! I'm very excited. And more excited because Dr. Luoh and I found a great balance of meds to make sure I don't get sick!

So it's about a week and a half since my treatment. My fingers and toes are still feeling the neuropathy side effects. I am hoping they go away in time. I am not so sure. :(

Here's a definition of neuorpathy:

Mononeuropathy is damage to a single nerve or nerve group, which results in loss of movement, sensation, or other function of that nerve.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Mononeuropathy is a type of damage to nerves outside the brain and spinal cord (peripheral neuropathy).
Mononeuropathy is most often caused by injury, although body-wide (systemic) disorders may cause isolated nerve damage.
Long-term pressure on a nerve due to swelling or injury can result in mononeuropathy. The covering of the nerve (myelin sheath) or part of the nerve cell (the axon) may be damaged. This damage slows or prevents signals from traveling through the damaged nerves.

It goes between feeling like my fingers tips and toes are tingly to numbness to feeling like a car door slammed on them. It's really interesting. Can't really put your finger on the way it feels. Nevertheless, it's more annoying than anything. Sometimes it can feel like after you get something done on your mouth at the dentist like a cavity filled.... you know that your lips are still there, but can't really feel them.

But other than the neuropathy, that's all I've been dealing with the last week. I still can't believe that I am nearly there with the chemo-sucky. I am rejoicing and want to thank each one of you for supporting me through this. Without my cheering squad, I don't think I could have remained so positive.

1 comment:

  1. I had the neuropathy side effects from my chemo, too. I hated it. Good news, it did *eventually* go away. I do not remember how long it took. I do know it was quite a while after treatment had ended and I feared the damage was permanent; but, now, all back to normal :) Hope the sames ends up to be true for you!

    ReplyDelete