Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 227 - Radiation #15: A Backup Plan

I can now say I am more than half way through my radiation treatment! Yippee!
 
Today I didn't get in until 1p. They were running late because the other LINAC machine was out for repairs. I guess it wasn't a "planned" maintenance. Which brings me to Fact #15: There's a back up plan! There are two machines that do the same thing. So, like today, patients who normally have treatment on a different machine can use "my" machine. The two radiation machines are calibrated the same so if one goes down, the other machine can be used. Interesting. I still hope mine doesn't go down! So while I was getting lined up today, I saw the machine do some things that I normally don't see.
 
As promised, I posted a few pictures of the LINAC 1 (sorry for the spots on the lens):

 
LINAC 1 at OHSU's Kohler Pavillion: Radiation Oncology.
The whole unit rotates around. You can see the bed I lay on
in the lower riht hand corner and the handle I hang on to.

There are two of my "regulars" Andrea & Dan(imal).
If you went online today, you may have seen that GMA's Robin Roberts will be going on medical leave. Most likely she will be getting full body radiation to suppress her immune system. Remember the TBI I showed you? She may be getting radiation treatments using that. I don't know for sure, but it's a possibility.

Tomorrow I meet with my Rad Onc, Dr. Marquez and that's about it. Oh yea, I get x-rays taken of my body, then treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment