Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 208 - Radiation #2: MLCs

Today was a good day for radiation. I got off of work and sped to OHSU for my radiation appointment. I was in and I was out. Each day I am going to teach you a little about the radiation process... care of my radiation technicians.

Fact #2 (Fact #1 was all about my radiation treatment yesterday): Today I learned of the Multileaf Collimator or MLC. They look like keys and they move to form a shape for the radiation field. Tomorrow I will learn more about it. Here is a pictures of what they look like:


Where ever there is open space... as seen in the above picture, that's where the radiation field goes through. It sort of like projects a "shadow" of radiation on my chest.

Today I also learned that they are radiating my interior lymph nodes (the ones in the middle of my chest) by shooting radiation from the underside of my body. I can't remember what kind of radiation it's called... but it's a different type with a different wave length.

Next time I see Dr. Marquez, I am going to ask her to print out a copy of my treatment plan and the histogram that I was writing about on yesterday's post. Treatments are going to be fast and good. I can handle these!

Following my radiation session, I went over to Whole Foods and got the calendula for my skin. I got the lotion, however, I need to return it and get the cream. I forgot that the stuff is not supposed to have alcohol in it. The lotion has alcohol which will dry my skin. However, the cream does not have any alcohol. Hmmm... at least Whole Foods is on my way home! :)

Join me tomorrow for another lesson in radiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment