Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 210 - Radiation #4: Wedge

Had the fourth round of 28 sessions today. Not much to report.

Fact #4 - I learned today that they use a wedge in my treatment plan. The wedge is metal and fits on the radiation machine. The wedge is a beam modifier. Using it creates curves for the radiation. Since my breast is round in shape, the wedge is used to get a curvature so the radiation is evenly distributed. My wedge is really thin... or the angle of the triangle is extremely acute... it looks like the angle is about 15 degrees, so the rise isn't very high.

The first shot of radiation is the whole breast. After the inital "blast" one of the techs comes into the room and inserts the wedge. Then they leave and the blasting continues. I was wondering why they were coming in and then leaving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment