Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 185 - Post Breast Cancer PET/CT scan & Dermabond

I'm cancer free!

I got the results of the PET scan back today. Happy to report that my scan looks good. The PET scan showed that there was no "activity" in the supraclavicular lymph node. That's awesome news. The CT scan also revealed the same thing. While I am overjoyed with this news, I am sort of reserved about the findings. I am not alarmed... yet... but just wondering what some of the other stuff in the report says.

For example on the PET scan it says: Very mild warmth is noted within the anterior mediastinum
not seen previously and of uncertain significance; and, Warmth in the anterior mediastinum is of uncertain significance. Attention on follow up recommended.

On the CT scan, the report reads: Anterior mediastinal soft tissue consistent with thymic
tissue is noted.

So what does it all mean? I really haven't a clue, but I did do some researching because I was a little concerned. Added to the fact that the nurse who called me said that with the PET scan, I'll have to talk to the radiologist regarding course of treatment and that she'll go over it with me. I do believe that she was talking to me about the lymph node and the dosing.  Back to the research...

Thymic tissue. I found that that tissue belongs to the thymus. The thymus plays a big role in childhood and adolescence. It peaks at puberty and then starts to fade away and become I believe fatty tissue. I think the clinical term used was "atropy." The deterioration of the thymus I guess has been linked to cancer and susceptibility of infection. However, I did read that after chemotherapy treatments, in adults, the thymus can be "reactivated." Also... I read... a residual thymic tissue is a remnant of the thymus gland mostly composed of fatty tissues. this is not considered anything abnormal. So I am not freaking out... yet. I don't think it's cancer. It couldn't be. The thymus is operable and can be taken out.

The PET scan stuff... that could be from the thymus as well. An oncologist posted this regarding thymic rebound: The thymus is a lymphoid organ in the anterior mediastinum. In general as you get older, it gets smaller. With chemotherapy or radiotherapy, the thymus shrinks. This is normal. After chemotherapy or radiation therapy, the normal thymus recovers. As it does so, sometimes its even larger than normal for a while. It can show up on CT scan and on PET or PET CT scan. This is normal, healthy, sign of recovery. The only danger is when the changes in the scan are misinterpreted as relapse. Your oncologist told you just the right answer. It sounds like you are in good hands. So I am not concerned. With more and more research, I am leaning towards a thymic rebound. It happens to patients dealing with lymphoma. The PET also concluded that: Foci of tracer uptake in the bilateral supraclavicular regions is fairly symmetric and likely related to brown fat. This can be avoided on future PETS with pre-study beta blockade.

With this PET scan, I was also a little more interested in some of the numbers given... SUV inparticular. I found that my main tumor was 8.1 on the SUV scale and that the axillary nodes were at a SUV of 4.5. Today the main tumor... well... is gone. The axillary was showing a SUV of 1.6. That's a good number. That number may be as a result of surgery... but it's under 3. SUV stands for Standardized Uptake Value. It's basically the output of how well you "glow" under the PET scan. Here's a link of what PET scans do: CLICK HERE. I found it interesting and helpful.

Oh yes, the supraclavical node went from the dimension of 1.5x1.0cm to 1.0x0.5cm... and it's more or less symmetric with the other clavical node on the other side. So that is very good news. The CT scan did show that I have a 7mm cyst on my liver. But cysts can come and go and it's not a concern. :) But other than that, it was a good test result. No cancer anywhere else. It's not in my head... literally. The nurse said that it was good news. And I trust her.

Now, as for my boobs... I am starting to peel. I feel like a snake. The dermabond which went over my incision to make it waterproof and my incision less likely for infection is now starting to peel off. Right now on my incision, I have a line which is the scab that went over the cut. As it's starting to peel off, I am now seeing my scar. It looks good. :) Supposedly it's supposed to start coming off 7-10 days after it's applied... but maybe Dr. Thakar sealed me up pretty good, or I haven't really cared to try and get it off.

Tomorrow I have more PT, Thursday a fill and Friday another PT appt.

No comments:

Post a Comment