Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 235 - Radiation #19: kV vs mV

Hello again! Hope you had a good three day weekend. My skin enjoyed three days of rest! Hahaha! Not much new here. Went to session #19 of radiation. I was in and out. I only have 9 more treatments. Wahooo!

Fact #19: The radiation machine, I have told you, has an x-ray machine attached to it. Normally when I get my x-rays, they take the pictures in megavolts(the same strength as I get for treatment). The x-rays are perfect for what the radiation therapists need. However, there's another x-ray machine built into it... and it takes pictures in kilovolts (kV). So what's the difference? The clarity of the images. The x-rays taken in kV are better quality. The ions are better absorbed in the bone. That's why it's better. So if you break your arm, your x-rays will be in kV rather than mV.

No comments:

Post a Comment