Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 142 - Pre-op Reconstructive Surgery

Today was a day of tests and running around. After work, I dashed home to get my wig off of my head. Then after a brief stint at home I ran to OHSU. My first stop, x-ray. I needed to get a pre-op x-ray. They took two pictures and I looked "all clear." It was kind of cool because I got to see my port. The tube goes up and then back down and into my heart. So when I was getting my chemo it went straight to my heart and then immediately got pushed around my body. How cool is that??

Following the x-ray, I went up to the 9th floor for my EKG. I guess they want to know that my heart can take the upcoming surgery. It looked fantastic. I am still alive.

By this time it was 2:15 and I had to run back downstairs to the fifth floor to meet with the reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Hema Thakar. I can't tell you how cool she is. She went over pre-op stuff, like what is going to happen, what could happen and to reassure me and Brad that it most likely won't happen. We also got to see what the tissue expanders look like and a silicone breast implant. Most definitely silicone. Dr. Thakar even got a "medical" grade "stud finder" for the tissue expander. She showed us how it works and how they find the port where the saline is injected. Then she broke out a needle and showed us how the needle to inject the saline worked. She even let us practice on it. I mean, how seriously cool is that? To let us be little doctors! Ha! She left me with homework. She wants me to read a packet of information and then to write down questions. She also left us with information leading up to surgery and after care. So Brad and I will be reviewing that. I can't believe that the surgery is almost here. I can remember being so bummed that I would have to wait six months to get this horrible thing out of my body... and here it is... time to get it out. Dr. Thakar also wrote me a prescription to get mastectomy lingere. She suggested a store not too far away from Center for Health and Healing. She said that they have a camisole that zips in the front and inside you can hang the drains from the surgery. More on that later.

After our awesome pre-op with Dr. Thakar, it was up to the 7th floor. I needed to get blood drawn and my port flushed. Wow... port flushed one more time. That sucker is coming out next Friday. I hate it. While I was there, Jennifer came out and said hello and then took me to the infusion room. It's like a little family there. I love all the nurses. I even saw Jon. Jennifer and I talked a little. I saw Dr. Luoh's nurse, Angie. And then they took my blood. It was the fastest trip to the infusion room. I promised I would stop by again.

Following that, Brad and I went to the lingere store. We looked at three different types of mastectomy bras. The first looked like a normal bra with clasps in the front. It had little velcro pockets for the drains. The second was a cami... and it was one you step into. I didn't like that one. The third and the one I went with is a white one that zips in the front. Just like the bra, the drain holders velcroed to the inside of the cami. I will have to model it for you pre-op. It's got a little lace on the top... so I can at least feel a little feminine in it. The lady who helped me... omg! A little too much Jersey Shore. She was orange. LOL. She was nice... but was sooo orange - fake and bake. In anycase, she's billing Cigna... and I know these bras are covered. Sweet. The bra retails at $70. I might only have to pay $12.

And that's about it. My next appointment is next Thursday before surgery.

On a side note... it's kind of interesting. When I walk around, I can feel the wind take different directions on my head. It's because of the hair growing back. My head is not bald anymore. I hope I have enough hair so I won't have to wear a wig to Dad's wedding. Everyone pray that I will have hair. LOL.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I am so excited to see you with short hair because I think you will be even more beautiful and very SEXY !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You killed me with the orange lady comment! LOL!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete