Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 19

Wow, what a whirlwind of a day. It's been a good day.

This morning I went to the OBGYN to get the IUD out. She gave me a big hug! Thanks Desiree! Her MA, Talana asked how I was doing. I told her that I was doing great. So Desiree and I talked a bit about what's to come. We also talked about birth control. I said that I didn't want to do anything yet, because it may be a moot point in the future. I said that I could go into premature menopause. I told her that I was going to be tested for BRCA the cancer gene. If I test positive, that could mean that I might just take my ovaries out. Either that or I will be on hormone suppression medication for awhile. We talked about clamping off my tubes, "burning" the uterine wall so I won't have my period again and also a full hysterectomy. We'll see.... I got on the table and she was trying to pull out the IUD when my phone rang! I told her I had to answer it, so she stopped. It was Dr. Luoh's office calling to ask me some questions regarding chemo.

I was talking to Angie, Dr. Luoh's nurse. She gave me the nurse line. Also she is going to sign me up for chemo class next Thursday. She asked if she could would I like to start chemo this Thursday. I said "sign me up." She knew that I wanted to get going on this. Angie also asked if I had numbness in my arm. I said, no. She thought Dr. L was having a moment. I said that when Dr. L checked me my arm was sensitive because I just had the FNA and they stuck me several times with needles. She said, ah, yes, that would make you a little sore. So she chucked that off her list. She told me that she saw that I requested a port. She said the labs came out good but the echo wasn't back in. So we have to wait to schedule the port when those results are in.

I asked her how long does chemo normally take. Angie says the first round takes the longest. I'll get into the office and meet with Dr. L. They will take my blood and test it to make sure I am healthy. Then while they do that they give me premeds. While that's happening, the pharmacy mixes up my chemo. The Adriamycin (is part of a group of chemotherapy drugs known as anthracycline antibiotics. It slows or stops the growth of cancer cells. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/GuidetoCancerDrugs/doxorubicin) is a 5-10 minute push (of chemo). Following that, the cytoxan (belongs to a group of chemotherapy drugs called alkylating agents. It helps stop cancer cells from growing, causing them to die. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/GuidetoCancerDrugs/cyclophosphamide) takes about an hour to drip into my system. Later down the road, the taxol (is thought to work by interfering with microtubules, which are part of the internal scaffolding needed by cells when they are dividing into 2 cells. Over time, this leads to cell death. Because cancer cells divide more quickly than normal cells, they are more likely than normal cells to be affected by this drug. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/GuidetoCancerDrugs/paclitaxel) takes about 3 hours.

Following my chemo treatment, I am scheduled to get my booster (which can be administered 24-72 hours after chemo) of Neulasta (is used to prevent or treat neutropenia (having a lower than normal number of white blood cells called neutrophils), which in turn lowers a person's risk of serious infections. Neutropenia can sometimes occur as a result of cancer chemotherapy or other treatments. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/GuidetoCancerDrugs/pegfilgrastim). That will boost my white blood cells. Fun times!

After chatting with her for a bit, it was time to get my IUD out. Desiree had a heck of time getting it out. Apparently the IUD like my uterus. One of the strings broke. But thank goodness she finally got it out. The IUD was bending over like a drunken sailor (it's supposed to look like a T). Interesting. So now that's out of my system. No more progesterone. After that it was 800mg of ibuprofen and a hook up with Dr. Grant who had breast cancer. We talked for a little bit. She gave me a nugget of bring a blanket and hydrate yourself. She also told me about this place where you can get complementary medicine like acupuncture and massages. Yea. In addition, she gave me her phone number in case I have any questions. Wonderful wonderful people. There's this little network out there.

While I was talking with Dr. Grant, OHSU oncology called me. Curt got me an appointment for my first treatment at 10a. Well, I meet with Dr. L at 10 this Thursday and then at 10.30 they will start treatment! Then on Friday I have to get the Neulasta shot. Fun times!

I've been thinking... people are asking how they can help. Here's what I am going to need you to do... any time I am getting really low, I need you to offer words of encouragement. I'd like you to tell me, "Holly, you're getting closer to the end. You've got XX treatment down and only XX left." Show me that there's light at the end of the tunnel. :) Also, remind me to drink. Drink lots of water and hydrate myself.

Also told my boss... or at least gave him an update on my condition. He was close to tears. He was asking me if there was anything he can do. Also he kept telling me about all these studies he saw in magazines and on TV. Wonderful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment