Thursday, February 21, 2013

A new diagnosis

Had my first physical therapy treatment yesterday for my hand swelling. It is edema, but my PT says that she thinks it's tendonitis rather than lymphedema. Wahoo! The swelling is not bad (she took lots of measurements of my arm, hands and fingers). My fingers were swollen. My wrist was a bit bigger compared to my right hand. When I relayed the symptoms to her and how the pain is radiating up my lower arm right along a tendon, she diagnosed me as tendonitis. So now I've got to do stretches. In addition, they gave me a treatment called iontophoresis. I receive medication via an electric charge. So far it's helping in the area that it was applied. The medication is absorbed directly in the affected area. Today I noticed the pain is less. In addition, the swelling in my middle and index fingers are a little less swollen. They're still swollen, but it has gone down. The swollen fingers may be a direct side effect of the tendonitis. Pray that it's not lymphedema.

Nevertheless, I am getting a prescription for a compression sleeve and glove. I will wear it when I fly next month to Florida. I don't mind. I would rather prevent lymphedema.

So that's it. My next appointment is next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment